7 Interior Design Tips for a Cozy Home
Have you ever walked into a space and immediately felt comfortable, as if the place was wrapping you in a hug? Well, that’s what we call warmth and when it comes to tastefully decorated interiors, it’s not about the fortune spent on furnishings or the size of the artefact, but rather about a well thought out concept that makes a certain space worthy of its intended purpose.
A well-designed home should strike an interesting balance between aesthetics and functionality and achieving that, a seamless play of design elements is all it needs. So what exactly are these elements that contribute to creating a home that exudes ease and comfort? In an interview with HT Lifestyle, Swapnil Sharma, Senior Interior Designer at Studio Archohm, revealed:
1. Define Spaces – Landscaping is the most essential part of the design. It is about understanding the space and categorizing it according to functions. Zoning defines the ground rules that help associate certain activities and moods with their spaces, such as lobbies should be inviting, formal areas should be focused and entertaining, and personal spaces should be user-specific and comfortable. This identification of spaces acts as the first step in achieving the transition from house to house.
2. Playing with volumes – Usually people equate a small area with comfort, but does that mean a large open space can’t exuberate in the same way? Can a double-height space not be warm? Well, that’s not true. All you have to do is play with the volume and create focus using pitch. Depending on the function, artwork, large sculptures and plants outlining secluded corners can do the trick. You can never go wrong with a beautiful tall houseplant because it brings the outdoors inside, exuding calm and mastery in its own way. Adding decorative screens to divide spaces and playing with the pattern of the floor to facilitate visual impressions of a smaller room (without disrupting the flow of movement) are other ways to achieve the same goal.
3. Custom corners – Cosines in houses can also be created by creating intimate seating spaces. They are not only conversation starters, but also practical choices. Especially with huge living rooms that are well-suited to entertaining large groups, it can be easy to overlook the need for small seating. These little nooks usually become favorite meeting places, adding value to every inch. Even an oversized sofa spanning a space can be the perfect tool to create an area that screams casual comfort.
4. Heat with good lighting – The play of light in interior spaces is far greater than most realize. It beautifully enhances the aesthetics, functionality and efficiency of a space. Light from multiple sources creates mood, contrast and adds to the design language. The right combination of decorative and architectural lighting produces the best results. As lighting is extremely spatially focused, it is important to understand its use. For example, for a sweet late afternoon sweetness, you can simply turn on the decorative lighting to watch television, read your book under a pretty lamp, exchange dialogues or simply have an aperitif. The mood of any space can be transformed with well-planned lighting throughout the day. It is the main actor who has the power to add visual warmth and make everything and everyone look better.
5. Choose the right materials and textures – The palette of materials plays a crucial role in defining spaces. A material like wood not only acts as a decorative or functional element, but also provides balance by adding texture and warmth. Given its organic nature, using it on floors, walls, and even in patterned ceilings helps bring natural comfort to a space with ease. Upholstery fabrics, on the other hand, are the obvious choice for adding character. With a diverse palette of textures having their distinct characteristics like the sheen of warm leather, the raw luxury of suede on sofas as well as the softness of rugs, the wide range of upholstery fabrics help to create welcoming and alluring spaces.
6. Bring bold contrasts with accents – Comfort can also be achieved by simply adding accents. It could be a classic piece of furniture, a feature wall creating focus, or an eclectic mix of small elements that can help enhance the narrative. But in order not to overdo it, equally important, answering the question, how much is too much should be carefully assessed. Balance, rhythm and symmetry are keywords that help achieve the same goal. The careful curation of a space using rich, saturated, comfortable fabric seating with a set of patterned cushions accompanied by a muted wooden coffee table, and an interesting collection of books to talk about is an example of a lifetime warm simple but still green space.
7. Elevation with elements – Fireplaces are a classic. Designing a space around it immediately ensures effortless comfort and luxury. Even if a built-in fireplace isn’t possible, adding a portable fireplace to any room in the house instantly ups the comfort quotient a notch above. Like fireplaces, artwork is also the other obvious answer. To add the perfect amount of warmth, a work of art of any type can be a painting; a wall hanging, sculpture, hand-woven rug, or whatever the user connects with, helps create a sense of assured ease. Water features are one of the oldest elements chosen to add serenity to spaces, the steady murmur of running water is still a popular choice that leads to gratification of body and soul.
To sum up, a cozy home is a space, imbued with warmth and effortless functionality that evokes comfort and contentment, achieved with the help of meticulously appointed interiors.