Interior decorating tips to give your home a festive vibe this festival season
The coming weeks are awash with Ganesh Chaturthi, Onam, Navratri, Dussehra and Diwali celebrations and the festive season in India is special for more than one reason as it is the time when families come together, special delicacies are prepared and the houses are festively lit. Cheers but more than anything else, the big holiday season is a time to declutter and make room in our homes and hearts for love and prosperity. The interior design and interiors undergo rigorous cleaning and sometimes complete overhauls and renovations during the festival period.
In an interview with HT Lifestyle, Gabriel Gil, Head of Design Innovation at Bonito Designs, suggested some simple tweaks for those in the mood to spruce up their homes this festive season. He said: “Handcrafted items enhance the appeal of the overall decor and add unique character to your nests. Macrame wall hangings can be used to hold your small planters in place and give a very bohemian and Indian touch to the decor. To declutter space, vintage multi-utility drawers can be an addition that will help keep all the useful scattered things in one place while adding depth to your home.
Since the living room welcomes family and friends throughout the festive months, he advised: “Create the perfect look for this room by simply changing up the upholstery. Mix and match colorful throw pillows with a patterned rug, and it will add a whole new visual dimension to the space. Another tip for the living room would be to opt for contrasting or matching cushions in rich fabrics like velvet, silk or jacquard. A new set of curtains can bring newness to the space in minutes. Be sure to keep a few things in mind when choosing the perfect curtains for your home, like choosing the fabric in a sheer material that balances out the lighting in the room. Go bold if you want your curtains to be a standout feature in the room or you can keep them simple yet elegant to give structure to the whole look of your home.
He added: “You can opt for brass or copper pieces, silver vases and decorative candle holders to add a bit of glamour. Adding a touch of magic to your homes can be done by keeping scented candles that will lift your mood and can be used as a decorative item by opting for clear or glass jar candles. For the finishing touch, the festive season is incomplete without lights and rangolis. Set the tone for celebrations with gold lights or different shades that capture the essence of your home. Rangoli are associated with Indian tradition to bring luck and goodwill to the home. Add candles and lights to amp up your rangoli at the entrance to your home. These tips will ensure your home is adorned and decked out for the festivities.
Bringing his expertise to the same, Toby Thomas, Marketing Director at Bethliving, recommended:
1. Furniture – Since furniture takes up a lot of space in the home, selecting dual-purpose pieces helps make the room cozy and comfortable for guests and family to cuddle up and laugh. One way to achieve this is to put the sofas together with lounge chairs around them and create a relaxed atmosphere during this festive season.
2. Added different frames – A glass mirror gives your home a sophisticated and chic look. Add different sizes of mirrors to the empty wall, especially near the stairs, and change the decor a bit by mixing up the frames.
3. Hanging stocking racks – As we’re talking about the holiday season, Christmas isn’t that far off either, so neatly hanging up your Christmas stocking is one of the easiest ways to liven up your Christmas decor. You can place them on stairs, windows and railings wherever you want. Also, you can get candy cane hangers to add a bit of fun to your decor.
4. Flame Retardants – During the end of the year celebrations, it is necessary to have products that must be decorated inside the houses so that they can protect us from firecrackers because wooden furniture catches fire quickly. Stainless steel products are also the best option – safe and aesthetic. They are also environmentally friendly and make the house safe and unique at the same time.
5. Added new utensils – You can also invest in good quality glass utensils this festival season as we indulge more in food cooking during the festive season. A classic glass or ceramic dinner service will add richness to your home and decor.
Along with the list of tips for giving your home a festive vibe, architect and interior designer Paushika Gupta, founder of Paushika Gupta Architecture+Design, suggested:
1. Let there be light – Use smart taper candles and modern holders to keep the space lit. Jasmine scented candles are the best for welcoming the festivities.
2. Throw it everywhere – Use throws to make it more cozy and fishing. These throws can be made of rich velvets in bright colors to add festive value.
3. Cushion of love – Add cushions in bold tones and rich fabrics, deep emeralds, burgundy and navy. With a hint of gold. Use brocades, silks and velvets to add a touch of warmth.
4. Green and yellow – Add lanterns and planters to your homes to make them more friendly and welcoming. Some porcelain palm trees with floor mounted lanterns with string lights still set the mood.
5. Urli Power – Use an urli to hold water and flower petals to give the space a vibrant look. You can also add floating candles. These urli can be made of brass or marble, they are readily available in many shapes, such as flowers and intricately carved bowls. One can keep them on table tops or entryways or in the corners of their homes.